Saturday, November 26, 2011

Basic Beginners Guide to Photography as a Hobby.

Photography is an expensive hobby. So if you ever plan to get good at it, or even be at least decent, in my opinion, it should be your ONLY hobby.

I’m telling you right now, that if you don’t have the passion or the drive to do it, you really shouldn’t waste your money on a DSLR. Often times, when I walk around school, malls, other public places, I see way too many people that have one just for the sake of having one, and claim to be a photographer.

With that being said, this post will basically focus on what my views are about beginners, and my own personal story as well as experiences with beginners.

So I always had a thing for photography, but I never really perused it I got my first phone in grade 9, then it took another year for me to actually convince my parents that I was serious and wanted to do photography as a hobby, which is how I got my first DSLR. As a beginner, the body is not too important, just getting a lower end, entry level DSLR will do the job. For Canons, it would be the Rebel line (though I feel like their move into the t1i and onwards is starting to get a lot more serious), and for Nikons, entry level cameras are the Dxxxx, or Dxx (around 60 or under). For me, my first camera was the Canon Rebel XS. Now that you have your DSLR, you will eventually learn about settings such as ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. My tip here, if you’re really serious and want to get good faster, is to use the M setting, and learn to adjust the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture accordingly. This will teach you when to use what settings for the best outcome of the picture, as well as give you an eye for guessing what settings would be best in a certain environment to get the photo that you want.

As for lenses, the kit lens is good enough for now, when you learn about how to use the camera and its settings well, your pictures will still come out amazing. I had a kit lens for a very long time, and to be honest I didn’t even think about getting a second lens until someone asked me about it. Even then, I did a lot of research before I purchased one (my first lens was a Canon 50mm f1.8). My advice for lenses is that you should be 100% sure you want to commit yourself to photography before thinking about getting a lens, because all lenses (except the 50mm f1.8, for both Canon and Nikon) are extremely expensive (well…I guess it really depends on your definition of expensive haha). As for deciding on a lens, at this point in time, you can just pick a relatively cheaper one, also with good quality, which is why I picked the 50mm f1.8, which I also recommend for those beginners looking for a second lens.

As for everything after this, I feel like it should be at your own digression, since you should know enough about your own photography, and what you like and want out of your pictures to know what to do next.

This was just brief explanation and advice for what I think is best for photographers starting off. I have told my friends that also want to start off, very similar things. I actually tend to try to talk them out of it, to see how bad and how far they’re willing to go with this…because like I said, it is a very expensive hobby, and you’d be saving a ton of money if you didn’t get into it at all without the motivation. I’m like this because far too often do I look up photography companies and professional photographers and find the pile of garbage they produce…I’m not saying my stuff is amazing, but I feel that I can most definitely do better than them (I’m sure Edward agrees on me for this one).

But yeah, that’s all, if you have any questions about other beginner’s tips, or if you have trouble contemplating over things, leave a comment below!

All the things I talked about in here are just MY personal opinions and advice through experience, it does not reflect what Edward’s personal opinions on this matter (though I know he agrees with most of this stuff because we’ve spoken about this before).



Now I will go to sleep…LOTS of studying to do ahead of me...exams will be the death of me!

-Forster

No comments:

Post a Comment